From 6th April 2017, there is an exemption from registering for Self Assessment if you either:

  • Turnover less than £1,000 from Self Employment
  • Have rental income, before expenses, of less than £1,000

If you have turnover or rental income of over £1,000 then you can deduct £1,000 as fixed expenses rather than calculating expenses on a detailed basis.

See our guide here