General Insurances

This Content Was Last Updated on March 10, 2024 by Jessica Garbett


If you are interested in Life Assurances and Protection, see our separate guide to Personal Insurances and Protection.
Personal Insurances and Protection

In terms of general insurance, here are the main policies and risks to think about:


For Mobile Teachers

Teachers Liability – this covers injury to students or their property through teaching, and although it’s not mandatory it’s common sense to hold this.  This is the most common insurance, and applies to most teachers.

Equipment / Contents – if you teach from various rented locations (distinguished from running a studio in rented property) and have significant equipment and props, then think about cover for these.  You may be able to include them with teachers liability, or possibly on some household policies.

Public Liability – this covers risks to students from the premises as opposed teaching, e.g. a slip or trip.  Generally this is the responsibility of the building’s owner or long term leaseholder, so if you rent space in a community facility, e.g. school or church, or from another business, e.g. a gym, this cover is their responsibility, but it’s worth checking its in place.

Motor Insurance – if you use your car to go to and from classes, check with your insurers this is covered.

Other than Motor insurance, none of these insurances are mandatory.


For Studio Owners

Equipment and contents – this covers props, computers, audio/visuals, furniture and other equipment.

Public Liability – this covers injury to non staff visitors to the premises, generally students and visitors, from risks like slip and trip.  It doesn’t cover injury from teaching.

Employers Liability – this covers injury to staff working for you.  Note staff may be more widely defined than just payroll, and can include Self Employed contractors.  This cover is mandatory.

Buildings Insurance – this covers bricks and mortar.  If you own your premises it’s your responsibility, if your premises are leased check your lease to see whether this is a landlord or tenant responsibility.

Teachers liability – as explained above, this covers injury to students from teaching.  You need to consider whether this just needs to cover your personal teaching time, and anyone else working for you has their own insurance, or whether you need to also cover teachers working for you.  If they are employed, rather than sub contractors, then it’s likely you will need to insure them.

A couple of tips:

  • Generally the only mandatory insurances are Employers Liability and Motor Insurance.
  • Most of the business insurance risks can be rolled up into one combined liability policy – maybe excluding teachers liability which would need to be separate – check with your insurers.
  • If you run a studio from home, the some insurers do a “home working” add in to your household insurance for combined liability, and this is often a cost effective approach.